Sunday, February 21, 2010

Geelong, Torquay, Jan Juc
















This weekend was an absolute blast! Good friends, stellar weather and an amazing tour guide! Mike, Sara, Mandy and I took a trip to Sara and Mandy's hometown, Geelong, this weekend. We spent part of our day hanging out with Sara's family at Eastern Beach in Geelong and then toured the local beaches around Torquay and Jan Juc. The scenery is amazing and the water is crystal clear with dramatic cliffs and surf (with hope it picks up soon...) I did get a quick session in with ankle high waves which was a little disappointing but no wetsuit was needed! Torquay is the surf capitol of Victoria and the town was littered with surf shops and plenty of chill, local hangouts. Just my type of vibe! We made the executive decision to come back multiple weekends to camp, BBQ, kick it, and surf! It's about 1.5 hours from the city and a great place to chill and enjoy beach life! It is also where "The Great Ocean Road" begins. Mike and I are planning a 1/2 marathon on the Great Ocean Road around the Appolo Bay area on May 16th. The plan is to take a weekend trip and explore the road before hand. It apparently is an amazing trip with spectacular views and geography.

On the drive back Sara was kind enough to answer all of my persistent questions about Australian history and civilization. I learned some interesting facts about the country and the Victorian state.

I started off Sunday with a scenic 8K run along the Yarra River and around the Botanical Gardens with Mike. Sara, Mike and I then went to the South Melbourne Market and enjoyed a stellar brekky and fun local culture. It's Monday tomorrow and another week starts with updating my resume and house/apartment hunting for a 3 bedroom/2 bath rental. I will post some more pics of the city this week but in the meantime enjoy some photos of Geelong, Jan Juc surf beach and Bells Beach. That is all for now and stay tuned for more updates!
Saeth

1 comment: